I’m getting ready for an exciting leadership retreat in January and in preparing I’ve been reviewing the 10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living (and leading!) by Brené Brown.
It’s a busy time of year thinking about family, Christmas, holidays and today I find myself reflecting and thinking about which of the 10 Guideposts might be a good place to focus and cultivate further for myself throughout the holidays.
I’ve been actively practicing cultivating creativity since the beginning of the month by creating special notes from a snowman we have in our house to bring a little Christmas magic to my daughter each morning. This has been a great process for me to tap into my creativity by forcing me to craft the notes each day. Creating the notes, including Christmas themed pictures, allows me to do something a little different and in doing so I have more clarity of thought and more ideas to bring into my work and personal life each day too.
Next for me will be a focus on cultivating calm and stillness and letting go of some anxiety. Its been a busy year personally and professionally and as fun as its been, it can be tiring too. Cultivating stillness and calm will allow me to be really present with my family but also bring that stillness and calm to bring me fully present with my clients into the new year.
I’m going to write about each of the 10 Guideposts over the next two weeks and explore the gifts that each one brings. Here they are in their entirety!
10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living and Leading by Brené Brown:
- Cultivate Authenticity – Let go of what people think about you
- Cultivate Self-Compassion – Let go of perfectionism
- Cultivate a Resilient Spirit – Let go of numbing and powerlessness
- Cultivate Gratitude and Joy – Let go of scarcity and fear of the dark
- Cultivate Intuition and Trusting Faith – Let go of the need for certainty
- Cultivate Creativity – Let go of comparison
- Cultivate Play and Rest – Let go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self-worth
- Cultivate Calm and Stillness – Let go of anxiety as a lifestyle
- Cultivate Meaningful Work – Let go of self-doubt and “supposed to”
- Cultivate Laughter, Song, and Dance – Let go of being cool and “always in control”
Which of the guideposts would give you the greatest gift right now?
To learn more about the 10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living, read Brené Brown’s book: The Gifts of Imperfection or come experience them through the lens of leadership in my January leadership retreat in partnership with Jamie Davidoff, to find out more visit The Daring Way™ For Leaders.
** The 10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living was posted with permission of Brené Brown and The Daring Way LLC.